Thursday, April 16, 2020

Lord, make me useful...

Years ago, when we were settling in to what we thought would be our post-musician life in Denver - I as a tour guide and Randy as a deputy sheriff, our debts paid off, and our house and dog keeping us in one place for the first time in years…I began to feel a bit too comfortable, bored, useless.

One week in frustration, I talked to God a lot about it. “Lord, I feel useless. Can you please give me something to do for You? I don’t mind what it is, just so I know I’m doing SOMETHING useful.”

We had a rare coffeehouse performance that week - we still did music as a hobby from time to time. A few friends and family members showed up, and a few strangers just happened to be there having coffee too. The next day, I received an email from Rachel, saying that she had seen us play, and although we didn't know each other, the Lord had prompted her to ask if I would be her lay mentor during her time at Denver Seminary.

SOMETHING useful to do! A nearly instant answer to prayer. I was amazed and of course, I said yes.

Rachel and I got to know each other over the next months. She and her husband Jesse are from the very small area of Iowa that Randy’s family is from, and their ministry goal was to go back to that part of Iowa and minister, which they have been doing for years now, currently as a pastor and a music ministry director at Orchard Hill Church in Waverly.
We are so thankful for the chance to get to know them and see their ministry (and their family) grow, and for the privilege of being her lay mentor for that year.

She has a beautiful soul and a beautiful voice, and I wanted to share with you this video of Rachel. (I asked her if I could share it. and our story).


There is no way it will bless you as much as it does me, but I hope that it does your heart good.

As we work and wait in Dundalk for next steps in uncertain times, and after Randy finishes school…we are again reminded that if we ask God what He wants us to do and listen and are willing…He will provide an answer.

(Reading w/ the Henkle kids on tour a few years ago)


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing this. Sending much love as you navigate these weeks -- we are all ultimately in Good Hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend, I love the thoughtful way you live your life❤️

    ReplyDelete

Johnny - Breakfast in Spain

  I (Beki) was able to take a long delayed trip to Spain with some friends from church. While there, they met and spoke with an Irish man wh...